First Baptist Church of Logan began September 7, 1905, and was established as a Missionary
Baptist Church. The church met in an old one room school house, known as the Hilley Building; then the church met in
Moralez Hall for a few weeks, followed by meeting in the second schoolhouse until the 1910 church building was completed.
For several years the Baptist Church was a half-time church, alternating Sundays with the Methodist Church of Logan, until
1936 when the Methodist went out on their own. In 1936, the Baptist began cooperating with the Southern Baptist Convention.
In 1943 the church obtained a parsonage replaced by a new parsonage in June of 1972. Some work was done to the
1910 building over the years, but there was a real need for more space by 1977. A 5700 spuare foot educational building
was dedicated on September 18, 1977. The building committee reported that there was a need to build a new auditorium.
After 70 years the old building was removed in 1980. In January of 1981, the new auditorium was finished. In 2004
more educational space was added.
As a small church, many of our pastors were first time pastors who were attending
college at Eastern New Mexico University in Portales. As the church grew and was able to have a full-time pastor, our
ministry changed and grew also. In these 100 years, 48 ministers have pastored this church. Through the years
a number of people have been called by God for special service and sent out by this body of believers.
building of Ute Lake a mile from Logan the town and the church grew. There have been some great worship and revival
services at First Baptist Church, Logan. God continues to move in the church, to touch many lives, and to call us into
"A Heart For God - A Love For People - A Place For You"